Ackee and Saltfish - The Jamaica National Dish
- 1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
- 1 dozen ackees
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 slices hot scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 small red sweet pepper
- cooking oil
- Soak Saltfish in warm water to taste.
- After soaking saltfish (codfish), place it in cold water and boil.
- Clean the achee. Remove the seeds and all traces of interior red pit from the ackees.
- Wash ackees five times
- Cover and boil until moderately soft.
- Drain, cover, and put aside.
- Pick up(flake) the saltfish and remove all bones.
- Sauté thinly sliced onions and sweet pepper rings.
- Remove half of the fried onions and peppers
- Add saltfish and the ackees, and turn the fire/stove up slightly.
- Add black pepper
- Pour in to serving plate and garnish with remaining onions and pepper slices