Translate This Page

Share mi nuh mon

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Government Cuts Labor by Using Prisoners


With Jamaica (like many other countries) facing such hardtimes, cutbacks are hard. Now, they are going to be using more free labor.

"With what is happening the Government is looking to cut cost in every way it can and this is one way we will have to use the resources of the inmates to reduce the cost to the public sector," Junior Security Minister Senator Arthur Williams told the Observer yesterday.

Acting Commissioner of Corrections June Spence-Jarrett told the Observer that for last year 18 projects were carried out across the island using inmates at a cost of $2 million to the Government. She said it would cost more than $40 million if the work was given to outside contractors.

I think though the outside contractors would be more reliable. If you "pay" a man for a good days work, I mean pay him well, then he will come back and work harder for you the next day. If you "beat" a man and tell him he "has to work," you will get work, but without the quality behind it. That is just my opinion. There are so many laborers in Jamaica who can do the job, but if the government is cutting cost by using inmates, then won't these laborers soon end up as inmates as well? Desperate times sometimes call for desperate measures. I feel that these folks will be soon feel tempted to join criminal elements just to make ends me for themselves and family.


Source: Jamaican Observer


1 comment:

Jamaica My Way said...

I have a comment to make on this post....I hope I don't ruffle any feathers with it.

In these hard recession times I'd rather see the regular Jamaican (as opposed to prisoners) be blessed with some honest work to do. Sure the prisoners are cheaper but those jobs could be feeding an honest family instead.

But that's just me LOL. Good post. News from Jamaica always brings out my "save the little guy" side.