Translate This Page

Share mi nuh mon

Saturday, May 02, 2009

Usain Bolt Survives Car Crash

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/photo/competitions/other/34510_w400xh600.jpg


This past Tuesday Usain Bolt and two passengers survived Tuesday's car crash on Highway 2000. I think this is a wakeup call to so many who speed on the road like they are U.S. Nascar drivers.

Bolt's car had been travelling into Kingston from Clarendon when the accident occurred. The road was slippery from afternoon showers.

Bolt and a female passenger were taken to a hospital in Spanish Town, near Kingston, where the Jamaican sprinter was treated before being sent home.

It has long been a tradition or a cultural experience for drivers to use the highways with reckless abandon. I remember growing up Jamaica and everyone drove like they owned the road. You either kept up or got ran off the road.

According to the Jamaican Observer, Dr Lucien Jones , head of the National of the National Road Safety Council," Jamaicans need to take much more seriously the issue of road safety."

As at 30 April, the number of fatal crashes for 2009 stood at 110, with 123 fatalities, similar to the statistics for 2008 for the same four-month period - 114 fatal crashes and 123 fatalities.

Source: Jamaican Observer

2 comments:

Colette S said...

I'm glad they survived. It 's true...we need to learn courtesy and law on the roads.

Jamaica My Way said...

I'm sorry to say I'm not surprised at the car accident. I'm shocked I don't see MORE like these on the roads.

Every time I reach somewhere I give thanks that I arrived!! LOL